ALUT was established in 1974 by parents of autistic children in order to better serve the needs of autistic children and their families.
ALUT's mission is to ensure the well-being, rehabilitation, future and economic status of persons with autism in Israel. ALUT provides educational, residential, vocational and leisure-time services to people with autism and works to advance their rights and to improve the services available to them and their families.
Over 5,000 individuals in Israel have been diagnosed with autism and 250 infants are diagnosed annually. Until several years ago, the only treatment available to autistic children and adults was admission in psychiatric hospitals.ALUT is revolutionizing the treatment of autistic toddlers, children and adults by doing the following:
- Establishing effective, integrated, individualized educational programs and maximizing special education services at ALUT's nurseries and treatment centers for toddlers (Alutaf).
- Establishing rehabilitation and occupational centers for the adults.
- Establishing "Homes for Life", residential homes for autistic people.
- Training professionals to work in this field.
- Providing assistance to families of people with autism.
- Advocating to advance the rights of autistic people and to improve the services available to them and their families.
Israel has also established a pilot program to include autistic citizens in the army. If you understand Israeli society you know that the army is a right of passage in Israel and the friendships people make last a lifetime. Previously those on the autism spectrum were excluded from this very important aspect of Israeli society, but not anymore. Inclusion is important in every part of a community. Understanding and respecting the fact that autistics can be productive members of society in every aspect of a nation's life is important.
Also read about: the largest research facility worldwide researching autism will be opening soon at the Mt. Scopus campus of Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem, Israel.
While most of us will not be able to attend, scientists and researchers will be coming together to share information at: One of the largest Intentional conferences on autism to be held next August 1, 2 2012 in Jerusalem, Israel through icare4autism. (HERE)
The issues and problems parents of autistic children face are universal. As I have written before: Autism's Sole Criteria: Human
If you are from outside of the United States and would like me to highlight your organization please email me through this blog.
Until next time,